Although Thorpe House had been a mill owner’s mansion and home until the early 1900s, it was the officers’ quarters for the Royal Engineers during the Second World War. It then lay empty for twelve years until Douglas and Jean Kneen bought it from Commander Selwyn Rawson OBE in 1957.
It then became our family home offering gentile living for retired professionals. Following the demise of our mother and then our father in 2011 we took the step to renovate and restore this lovely old house to its former glory. It is Grade II listed and its elegantly splendid appearance has been a labour of love. We three sisters now run Thorpe House as a bed and breakfast.